Today’s Snip is dedicated to the memory of my aunt and uncle, Dorothy and Eugene Reilly. My dear Aunt Dot was laid to rest yesterday, almost two years after the passing of Uncle Gino. He was my first sports bud; we would watch the Knick games, and root them on to their one and only NBA championship. The last time I saw him at hospital, we watched a college game together, and kicked about the local teams. Sports is one way to bring families together, and Aunt Dot and Uncle Gino was big on bringing, and keeping, the family together. Now they’re joined together in Heaven.
- So today’s the big game! Broncos vs. Seahawks! Frankly, I’ve got no dogs in this year’s Super Bowl fight, but if I have to choose, I’ll veer on the side of experience and go with Peyton and the Broncos. Though I can’t help but secretly hope that the quarterback on the Seahawks, and the Sherman the cornerback whose comments caused such a vitriolic reaction on the Internet, get the chance to stick it to their critics. Whichever side you’re on, it’s going to be a great matchup.
- And right after the visitors here in town for the game have left, it’s time for the Winter Olympics in Sochi! I’ve spent quite a bit of time over the last month watching Olympic qualifiers; now let the Games begin!
- And, speaking of qualifiers, the Jamaican bobsled team, famous from the movie Cool Runnings, punched their ticket to Sochi, the first time since 2002. Initially, they had trouble raising the money to get to the games, but have since raised the money, will head over to Sochi.
- Right now I’m watching the Red Bull Signature Series, the Frozen Rush. Off-road trucks with spiked tires racing through the snow. Wow.
- Hope that some of you got the chance to watch the rebroadcast of Frontline about head injuries in the NFL.
- And speaking of the league, did you know that the NFL is a tax-exempt, not-for-profit organization? As is the NHL. Go figure!
- One of my favorite Giants of all time, Michael Strahan, was nominated to the NFL Hall of Fame, class of 2014. Congrats!!
- On a more serious note, the race driver Michael Schumaker is being slowly taken out of his drug-induced coma. Continue to pray for his recovery from his horrific ski accident.
And before you go, take my poll and let me know which team you’re rooting for tonight! Enjoy the game!